For those of you following (Hi mom!), it’s been a week since I started blogging again, with the express purpose of keeping you up to date during our trek BACK across the country from Seattle, WA to old O-H-I-O. And for those of you who don’t know, it’s not for a visit, we are moving back to our original home state. (It’s a long story for another time)
We left Seattle on November 30th with our first two stops set: Cannon Beach, OR for 3 nights (which turned into 4 because we were tired and enjoying our stay) and then on to Cescent City, CA for a 2 night stop in the Redwoods, which Brigid has always wanted to see. Cannon Beach was fantastic, despite being in the 30′s. The beach is simply incredible and the dogs, get ready….absoutly loved the ocean front. (which, for 2 pups who hate water, was very exciting for us).
Our stay in the mountains near the Redwoods, though a bit rustic and unexpeted, was rather nice. We were able to let the dogs roam a bit and it snowed the day we left, which was Thursday. Our next stop was to be south of Oakland/San Fran for a night, and then on to Flagstaff, AR. That’s when Mother Nature chimed in.
We made it about 60 miles south of Crescent City when we learned HWY 101 was closed due to snow. We had no where to go but to turn around and go north. On a side not, if you ever find yourself in the little crap town of Laytonville, CA, quickly keep going. (If you’re from there, I don’t care, it’s still a crap town). We then ended up 40 miles and 3 hours later, back in the direction we stated at a camp ground with a small 8 unit “hotel”. It was not quite Deliverence, but I slept with one eye open with my coat and stocking cap on….
Surviving that night, we traveled south as far as we could and stayed in Bakersfield last night, got up early this morning, jumped on St Rt 58 and BAM!, pass was closed due to snow. We reluctantly turned around and decided to go all the way down to the LA bypass, past Pasadena and over to Phoenix, where we are right now. Phew!
There are many more sordid details, but my energy is sapped. But, we are determined to make it to Flagstaff and luckily are only a couple hours away when we wake up tomorrow.
Also, I can’t post photos right now on this site, so I plan on putting them on FB. Check them out. Chow for now.